Monday, October 25, 2010

Cardiology Update

We had another great cardiology check-up this morning.  I can breathe for another month. :)  Dr. Porische was so pleased with Field.  His weight is great.  He looks amazing.  He is happy and just cooing away.  She couldn't believe how alert and "chatty" he was.  She told him she can definitely tell that he is loved and talked to often because he didn't stop talking in the office.  As far as the heart goes, everything looks great and just at it should.  No leaky valves, pressures are great, pulses are perfect, and the PA band is working well.  I had to break the news to her that we are going to have Field's surgery in Houston with Dr. Fraser.  She was totally on board with that and said she is happy to be Field's local cardiologist and will always send a report to Houston on how Field is doing each month.  She assured me that she would get second opinions if it were her child and she definitely respects Dr. Fraser and his team in Houston. 

On that note, we have a date set for the surgery!  On Monday, January 3rd, we will meet with Dr. Crystal, our cardiologist at TCH in Houston.  On Tuesday, January 4th, Field will undergo a cardiac catheterization to check the pressures and blood flow of his heart.  They will also do all of the pre-op work for the surgery (blood work, chest x-ray, etc.)  This is considered a minor procedure and we will most likely just stay one night in the hospital.  Thursday, January 6th is the BIG day.  Field will have his first open heart surgery early that morning.  I get sick to my stomach when I even say that word.  Sending my sweet, innocent baby boy into such a serious surgery is absolutely heartbreaking and will be the hardest thing I will ever have to do as a mommy.  We would SO appreciate your prayers for that day.  For a speedy, successful, and complication-free surgery.  For comfort and NO pain for Field.  And for peace for Brad and me.  We have 2.5 months to pray for this day.  Please join us in praying that all goes perfectly and just as it should and that Field will be stronger than ever leading up to the surgery.   

And can I just say that I love my husband.  Please read his detailed email he sent to our family today:

Hello Fam,
I just got off the phone with Texas Children's, and it looks like we are heading to Houston the first week of January. Here is the projected timeline of events:
Sunday, January 2nd: Johnson family will travel to Houston to get situated at home base (Blair and Bryan Loockes)
Monday, January 3rd: Consult with Dr. Crystal (cardiologist) to discuss the catheterization, and any other check ups needed.
Tuesday, January 4th: Have the cath procedure (done by Dr. Crystal the cardiologist), as well as other lab work needed for pre surgery.
Thursday, January 6th: Have the bi directional glenn shunt and damus kaye stansel operations (done by Dr. Fraser the surgeon).

There are still a lot of details to iron out, but this is a rough draft of what is to come. At some point in time between the cath and the surgery we will meet with Dr. Fraser about what he expects out of the procedure. Field will probably have the opportunity to sleep at the Loockes the night of the 4th, but will be readmitted on the 5th prior to surgery.
If all goes well, and I'm am hopeful it does, Field will spend ten days at TCH, and then will have to stay in Houston three more nights as a precaution. Then we will be homeward bound.
Regards,
Brad W. Johnson, CFP
Investment Officer

He is SO on top of things and so great at organizing appointments for Field.  Yes, I am a lucky girl and Field is a lucky boy. 

And here's a pic of sweet, little Field-ie-poo.

Funny story...we took Field to the pumpkin patch and then to dinner afterwards in this outfit.  We had THREE different people come up to us to tell us how precious our DAUGHTER is.  How cute SHE is, how big SHE is, and then asked how old SHE is.  Brad was not too happy that I put Field in such a girlie outfit.  I guess I should put a second thought to what we dress our little "pretty" boy in.  I do think he is a beautiful boy but I don't really like that he was mistaken for a girl several times yesterday.  I am so sorry, Field.   I won't make you wear these outfits too often!  :)