Thursday, August 5, 2010

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Hello!  Well, we had a little set back last weekend.  Last Saturday, Field had his first fever.  We had been doing really well and things had calmed down in the life of the Johnsons.  I told Brad to go to the fishing tourney he had been planning to attend for months in Port A. and that I could certainly handle Field for 2 nights on my own - my family was in town and would be checking in and helping me.  Well, lo and behold, we had a tough Friday night...Field was really fussy and didn't want to eat.  Saturday morning I felt his head and it felt really warm.  I PANICKED like any new mommy would when your newborn feels warm and I took his temp.  102.  Aghhhh!  I called my mom, she rushed over and we headed to the ER.  After lots of bloodwork and tests run, it turns out Field just had a random 24 hour virus.  This was so frustrating for me as I have never taken Field anywhere other than to doctor's appointments and both our families' houses and we have been SO careful about germs.  The doctors reminded me that he could easily have picked something up from someone's clothes that came into our house to visit (or even off of Brad and my clothes) or during one of our doctor's appointments.  Who knows.  Those sneaky little bugs!  

Anyway, since we just couldn't get enough of that glorious hospital life, they admitted us for 2 nights to be sure he didn't have anything more serious and to wait and see if anything grew on the cultures.  Thankfully, nothing did.  So...we spent 2 nights and 3 days in "Methodist Jail" as Field recovered from this little bug.  Mommy and daddy had to share a hospital bed for two nights (a sight to see I assure you!) and by the third day, mommy was starting to get VERY stir crazy.  Ha!  Being in the hospital can make you crazy!  One huge blessing was that Field's temp was only 100 when we were admitted and by the time we got into a room, his fever broke and his temps were normal for the rest of our stay.  I like to say this is due to my antibodies I am passing on to Field...makes all this pumping worth it! 

We finally broke free from "Methodist Jail" on Monday evening and we are home and happy to be in our comfortable surroundings again.  We are so thankful to our families, once again, for bringing us meals (since I am a breastfeeding mom, I did get a free breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day, but something about rubbery eggs and salisbury steak didn't seem too appetizing...oh how I miss 10South!), sitting with us, and watching Field so we could run home to shower and take a break.  It was a little set back, but at least we have our first fever out of the way. 

Our follow-up appointment at the pediatrician this week was great.  Field is completely well again and miraculously did not lose weight during this little saga.  That is such a praise as weight gain is a major focus for us right now.  "Cardiac babies" have a tough time with weight gain and Field also has reflux which makes it all the more difficult to gain.  I sure do wish I could just give Field some of this baby weight I am holding on to!  Wouldn't that make things easy?!? 

Prayer requests are that Field will stay healthy and not catch infections or viruses until his immune system is strong (we know it is inevitable that he will be sick at some point, but we hope and pray that it won't happen again until he has more immunities), that Field will continue to have an appetite and feed well for us (A LOT of "cardiac babies" have to have an ng tube, which is a small feeding tube to help them gain weight in the beginning.  Five years ago, EVERY baby with a heart condition immediately got a tube for the first few months of life...shows how far the medical world has come in just 5 years.  We are so lucky and thankful that our cardiologists and pediatrician are giving us the chance to get Field to gain weight on his own before we take that route.  Obviously we do NOT want to have the tube put in even though it would just be a temporary thing.), and that Field's heart would continue to stay strong and be right where we want it for the time being. 

That reminds me...did I mention his heart is doing great?!  The little set back had nothing to do with the heart and since we were in the hospital, our cardiologist went ahead and ordered an echo and all looks great on the heart!  No concerns right now by the looks of it, sounds perfect (well, his perfect anyway...we know he his murmur is pretty loud), and his pulses and saturation levels are right where we want them.  Thank you Jesus! 

We've taken two steps back, but we are on the mend and running forward again!  :)


Big smiles even with an IV in the head and being cooped up in the hospital!

Our pediatrician, Dr. McCray.  She is WONDERFUL and very patient with this family of 3.  She calls to check on us even when she is not on call and not working.  She understands that we are new parents and need a lot of guidance.  Love to hear her say how happy she is with Field and his progress.  Want to hear more of that in the weeks/months/years ahead!

Home again, home again, hippity hop!  Watch out world, Field is feeling good and ready to tackle newborn life again...feeding, sleeping, playing, and pooping!  :)